Friday, February 4, 2011

Stay in the saddle now so I'm not in the water later!

I had a great lesson Thursday night where I was able to make a laundry list of things I need to work on before spring so I don't indeed end up looking like amateur hour come May...

First: Keep my butt in the saddle! I've somehow got into the bad habit of lifting myself off the saddle and bracing with my knees which will only result in me flying into the water on course.

Second: half halt. half halt. HALF HALT! Don't barrel around the jump course like a freight train.

Third: And this really sums up a lot of issues- quicker, lighter and more responsive to the aids. Lighter in my hands, quicker off my leg both forward and lateral, and more responsive with the impulsion coming from the hind legs (don't jump off a cliff in the down transition pony! Just move forward more elastically in a different gate, not that hard right?).

Otherwise we're making good progress in the connection and I'm really happy with Kelso's ability to learn and retain a good feel from ride to ride. It'll be good to have a few months inside yet while we work on these things because as soon as the snow melts number one on the list turns into Ride Outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment